Monday, October 24, 2011

1892 East-Sunday Brunch

Beardy and I have been married for seven years as of last Sunday, and to celebrate, we went to brunch at 1892 East. We felt like we were taking a chance because Smalls had not had a good day the day before. Her performances the day before included a complete breakfast meltdown at a hotel in Chattanooga, and a full-on writhing on the floor tantrum at the Tennessee Aquarium. We had been to 1892 East before, but for dinner, sans Smalls. For some reason, it didn’t seem to be all that kid-welcoming, even though their online menu included a kids' menu. That impression was wrong, and we were pleasantly surprised by the toddler-friendliness of the restaurant at brunch. We got there at about 10:45, and there were only a few other customers. By the time we left, though, there was a 10-20 minute wait, so I’d suggest you get there before 11. But we got a table right away, with a highchair and… wait for it… an ENTIRE box of brand new crayons and a blank sheet of paper. Smalls loves crayons, so we were very grateful. She also likes to play with the sugar and artificial sweetener packets, and those were readily available.
1892 East's business card plus Smalls's artwork with the crayons the hostess provided.
Beardy and I ordered coffee and readily accepted the mimosas that are included with brunch entrees. I got milk stout pancakes (made with locally-brewed stout) with bacon, and Beardy got the southern breakfast platter. The food was great, better than what we’d had for dinner during our previous visit.
1892 East does have a kids’ menu that consists of French toast, bacon and eggs, or macaroni and cheese for brunch, and cheese flatbread, macaroni and cheese, or roasted chicken for dinner. All the kids’ items are $6. Smalls didn’t get to sample the kids' menu, though, because at 10:45, she had already had breakfast, and wasn’t ready for lunch yet. And we were too spooked by her behavior the day before to risk messing up her food schedule, so she just grazed from our plates a little and ate some Cheerios. I like the sound of the kids’ menu, though. And I like the fact that they HAVE a kids’ menu.
The best part was the way the waitress and hostess made Smalls feel comfortable, and made us feel welcome being there with her. There was the box of crayons, but the waitress was also careful not to set our hot coffee, drinks, and plates down within arm’s reach of Smalls (her reach is surprisingly long). That’s the kind of thing I would never have thought of before I had a kid. And I’m not always paying attention when a drink is set down in Smalls’s zone (recently, I was distracted by Beardy quickly rescuing HIS beer from Smalls’s right hand while her left was spilling mine in my lap!). By the time we left, we were one of several families with small children and babies in the restaurant, so we really did feel comfortable being there with Smalls. Maybe we could even brave it for dinner one evening. I want to try that macaroni and cheese off the kids’ menu—um, I mean Smalls wants to try it.

Toddler friendliness ratings:
Atmosphere: 5 out of 5 booster seats. The waitress and hostess made us feel very welcome with a toddler.
Food:  I shouldn’t rate something we haven’t tried, but based on the menu, I want to give it a tentative 5 out of 5 booster seats. I’ll update/confirm this rating once Smalls tries that mac and cheese.
1892 East
720 Pratt Avenue NE, Huntsville, Alabama

2 comments:

  1. I love this place! Right in our neighborhood. We had a good experience at brunch, too, when E. was about 9 months old. I worry about dinner mostly because the dinner prices are much higher and for some reason that makes me think things are more formal. What do you think? Are prices indicative of kid-appropriateness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie N, thanks for your comment! I think you could take E. here for dinner. I'd get there early when it's less crowded (I think they open at 5). You might even call and make a reservation, just so they could have a highchair at the table that's most convenient for them. Or a reservation might be overkill; I'm not sure. But going by the thought they've put into their kids' menu at dinner, I think they'd welcome kids at dinner as well as brunch.

    ReplyDelete