Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cheddar's Casual Cafe

Cheddar’s is such a bad name. I’ve always thought, in spite of their rather nice-looking building, that all they would have would be cheese sticks, cheeseburgers, and cheese fries, or they might make me hang out with a clown named Cheddars or something. My mom thought it sounded like a place she went to in Illinois where they put cheese on everything, including the desserts (actually, apple pie. Apparently some people think this is ok). Well, they do have cheese sticks, cheese burgers, and cheese sticks, but they have lots of other choices, too, including some interesting choices for kids.

Last Thursday, my mom and I were out shopping for birthday party decorations (Smalls is two now! Yay!), and we needed some lunch. We were in the Target area on University Drive, so I suggested Cheddar’s. Cheddar’s seems really popular; it was about 1:30 on a weekday afternoon, and we still had a 10 minute wait. I can’t imagine what it must be like on a weekend night. They had a big aquarium near the entrance, and Smalls watched the fish while we waited. She loves fish, especially the ones at the Huntsville main library. I’m against getting an aquarium at home, though, because I don’t want to deal with any dead fish that I don’t intend to cook and eat. Beardy is pro-aquarium, though, so someday we may end up getting one.
When we got to our table, Smalls immediately became obsessed with a man in an orange T-shirt with no sleeves (a la Larry the Cable Guy). I couldn’t tell if he was waving at her and making eye contact, or if she was just staring and silently critiquing his fashion choices. According to my mom he also had orange shoes. And not, like, Tennessee or Texas orange. Just orange print tennis shoes.
Cheddar’s does have a kids’ menu, and they offer fries, vegetables, or edamame as side choices. Edamame? Interesting! All the kids’ meals are about $3.99-$4.99, and a drink is included. You can look at the menu for the Huntsville location here. Smalls got the marinara pasta (she said she wanted noodles, so we didn’t get to try the edamame), and my mom and I both got sandwiches ($6.99 each). I got broccoli as a side to share with Smalls.
We had a good lunch. Staring at Larry the Orange Shirt Guy kept Smalls occupied, we had tiny shot glasses of cake for dessert, and there was no Cheddars the clown. In fact, it has a good atmosphere for a chain restaurant. I think taking a toddler to dinner here would be fine, too. I’d do it early in the evening, though, because I bet it gets crowded.
Bathroom report: The largest stall in the women’s restroom has a fold-down changing station.
Toddler friendliness ratings:
Atmosphere: 4.5 out of 5 booster seats.
Food: 4.5 out of 5 booster seats. I like that the kids’ meals can come with vegetables.

Cheddar’s Casual CafĂ©
25 University Dr. NW, Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.cheddars.com/

1 comment:

  1. The parking lot is always ridiculously crowded all weekend, so we've never been and we've always wondered what all the hype was about. Apparently it's the edamame!

    ReplyDelete