Friday, July 20, 2012

Fulin's Asian Cuisine

My car was in the shop recently (something that didn't get fixed right from when I hit a deer last winter), so I had to take Beardy to work for a few days last week. That meant he also didn't have a car to go get lunch, so I asked if he'd like for Smalls and me to come pick him up and we'd go out. We went to Fulin's Asian Cuisine in the Shoppes of Madison (it's next to Pie in the Sky).


We got there at about 11:45, and it was almost empty. It's not a buffet, like a lot of Asian restaurants in Madison and Huntsville. That's a plus for me. The TVs were showing the Food Network, subtitled in an Asian language (forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what language it was). I actually tried to take a picture of Unwrapped with subtitles, but didn't get it the first time, then felt really stupid and sat back down.
Their menu looks good; they have a lot of sushi (including lunch specials) and Chinese dishes. I got orange chicken from the Chinese Lunch section of the menu. All Chinese Lunches are $7.95. The Japanese Lunches (sushi) come with miso soup and salad and are from $8.95-$13.95.

Fulin's has a kids' menu, and here it is. Vegetarian kids will have to look elsewhere on the menu.



Smalls got the Fried Chicken with Noodles ($4.95) from the kids' menu. The chicken was small chunks fried in a batter--probably the same chicken that was under my orange sauce in my orange chicken. It also came with sweet dipping sauce for the chicken, steamed broccoli (this was a nice surprise), and a little chunk of pineapple. The pineapple chunk had its own little pineapple-chunk-shaped area in the plate, and that pleased me. Smalls also enjoyed the wonton chips that came with Beardy's hot and sour soup. 
Beardy said the hot and sour soup was very good. He also got kung pao chicken, and said it was pretty good. My orange chicken was SWEET. I've actually never had orange chicken before, so maybe this is standard. Beardy compared it to the icing that comes with Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, and he was right!

Overall, I liked Fulin's. I like that it's not a lunch buffet, and I want to come back and maybe try their sushi for dinner. It was too empty when we were there; I hope more people start supporting it for lunch.

Bathroom report: Nice, clean, three stalls, with a fold-down changing table in the largest stall. This slightly creepy baby is there to greet you.




Toddler friendliness ratings:
Atmosphere: 3.5 out of 5. Kids certainly seem welcome, but they're not really going out of their way to cater to them (and that is fine!) It's a little quiet, so if Smalls had made a little noise, I might have felt like she was disturbing people.

Food: 3.5 out of 5. The kids' meal is limited (fried, fried, fried) but it did come with unexpected broccoli and pineapple.

Hours:
Sunday - Thursday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Friday and Saturday 11:00 AM - 10:30  PM

Here is their Web site, which lists other locations (Decatur, AL, and several in Nashville.)
http://fulins.com/

The kids' menu is online here:
http://fulins.com/category/kids-meals/

  Fulin's Asian Cuisine on Urbanspoon

1 comment: