Monday, August 20, 2012

Macaroni Grill

My mom, Smalls, and I recently had a big day out: storytime at the library, then frozen yogurt, pop jets, and the carousel at Bridge Street, and a late lunch at Macaroni Grill. After pop jetting for the first time this summer (I know summer's almost over, we just didn't get to it until now), I understand now why, in the summer, the bathroom at Bridge Street always made me think of the changing room at Point Mallard waterpark--this is where we have to dry off and change our soggy kids after playing in the pop jets. It gets to smelling like pool water and wet children. Fortunately Smalls and I were the only ones changing in there at the time, or it could have gotten crowded.

Once Smalls was presentable, we went over to Macaroni Grill for lunch. Grandma just retired from 35 years of teaching and got a gift certificate as one of her retirement gifts and she shared it with Smalls and me (thank you!). It was fairly late, maybe 1:30 or 2:00, and it was a weekday, so it was very uncrowded. Smalls was presented with the kids' menu/activity sheet and crayons. When the waitress came over, she brought extra crayons, and Smalls proceeded to draw on the paper tablecloth. And that's ok. It's kind of the thing here. The servers must practice writing their names upside down so they can impress diners as they introduce themselves. I can write backwards cursive, but haven't perfected my upside down.

The waitress also brought Smalls a ball of raw dough to play with, which we've never gotten here before. I wonder if this is standard, or if they're being influenced by the dough ball policy at Pie in the Sky.

I like the kids' menu here. Smalls got macaroni and cheese on a previous visit, and she ate all of it, one noodle at a time, very slowly. This time she got pizza and ate one slice. It's a huge pizza, though. Beardy ate a slice later in the day, and I had a piece for breakfast the next day. Then Smalls had another piece for lunch. Really. It fed us for 2 days! Sort of. You also get good bread before the entrees come, so Smalls did fill up on that a little. Her milk came in a nice, sturdy plastic cup with a lid and straw.

The waitress drew a butterfly on the table, so Smalls did too.
I got the flatbread with roasted chicken and arugula, and it was served on an embarrassingly large platter. Actually the platter was the size and thickness of a boogie board, you know those ones that kids throw into the surf, then run and jump onto it. Then they either skim along the edge of the water on the board or they trip and fall dramatically. Anyway, that's what I ate my flatbread off of. I suggest you share it with someone else if you order it. It's good, though.


Toddler friendliness ratings:

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 booster seats. I love drawing on the table--I mean, Smalls loves it. I think the atmosphere is a good mix of grown-up restaurant and kid-friendliness.

Food: 4.5 out of 5 booster seats.

Macaroni Grill
5901 University Drive NW
Huntsville, AL 35086
(256) 722-4770

Sunday-Thursday 11 AM - 10 PM
Friday and Saturday 11 AM - 11 PM

http://www.macaronigrill.com
Get all the Huntsville-specific info here (hours, address): http://www.macaronigrill.com/locations/1231


  Romano's Macaroni Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment