Thursday, November 10, 2011

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Five Guys
1395 Enterprise Drive, near the Target shopping center on University Drive in Huntsville.
I just might be the last person in Huntsville to try Five Guys Burgers and Fries, but Beardy, Smalls, and I went there for lunch for the first time recently. Smalls and I were in Target, waiting to get a flu shot for me, and we got the call that Beardy could meet us for lunch. We’d heard that Five Guys had really good food (especially the fries), and the rumors were true. I liked the limited menu (only hamburgers, cheeseburgers, grilled cheese and veggie sandwiches, fries, and hot dogs). It seems like if a restaurant does just a few things, they do them better. Beardy and I both got hamburgers and, on the cashier’s wise suggestion, we shared a regular order of fries. Really, even that was too many fries. The hamburgers were really good; they actually smelled like hamburgers (maybe you have to go smell a hamburger to know what I mean). Smalls got a plain hot dog. Because this was an impromptu meeting, and I wasn’t familiar with the menu, that’s all Smalls had for lunch there. Next time, I’ll bring some fruit or something for her to make me feel better about the fast food lunch. The total for our lunch was almost $20, which seems high for burgers and fries, but I guess these are high-quality burgers and fries.
There were plenty of clean high chairs and booster seats available, and it’s a fast-food atmosphere, so if Smalls had been a little noisy, probably no one would have noticed. She had a good time playing with a straw and eating her hot dog, though, so we were fine this time.
Allergy alert: The door is flanked by stacks of boxes of peanut oil and a box of actual peanuts for customers to snack on. It was almost as if they are there as talismans to ward off anyone allergic to peanuts. The peanut box displays a warning not to remove peanuts from the store. Because there are no peanuts in the outside world…? I guess they're just being careful. Anyway, based on the volume of peanut oil guarding the door, I assume the fries are fried in peanut oil, too. At least they don’t encourage you to throw the peanut shells on the floor. If they did that, they’d feel the need to have a footbath outside the door like they have on farms to control foot and mouth disease. 
The peanut warning.






















Toddler friendliness ratings:
Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 booster seats. It’s a fast-food atmosphere, nothing special, but nothing toddler-UNfriendly, either (unless you’re allergic to peanuts, then I guess this is 0 out of 5)
Food: 2 out of 5 booster seats. The menu is very limited, and there are no side items other than fries. The simplicity of the menu was attractive to me, but not for a toddler. You’ll probably want to bring something healthy to counteract the hot dog or grilled cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment