Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gadsden Variety and Deli (Gadsden, Alabama)

If you happen to find yourself in Gadsden, you should visit Gadsden Variety and Deli. It’s downtown on Broad Street, and it used to be called Nelson’s. It’s a five-and-dime store, and they have a good variety of toys (from really cheap plastic toys, to classic Radio Flyer tricycles and wagons). They also have holiday decorations, craft supplies, Alabama and Auburn gifts, candy, and lots of other stuff, and it just feels very old-fashioned. It’s pretty neat.

They even have a lunch counter, but if you’re with a toddler, do not eat at the lunch counter. If you’re not with a toddler, go ahead and have lunch there (really, just for the experience--how often do you get to eat at a lunch counter in a five and dime?). The food is good; they have sandwiches and “salads.” I say “salads” because the salads are gooey tuna salad, creamy blueberry jello-type salad, and pasta salad; they're not lettucy, leafy salads. They use an ice cream scoop to serve these salads.
But, getting back to the toddler issues, there’s no kids’ menu at all. There are hot dogs and grilled cheese on the menu, but the only sides are the “salads” and chips. I ordered a ham sandwich for myself and a turkey sandwich for Smalls. I figured Smalls could eat cheese, bread, and turkey, but it came slathered in Thousand Island dressing (I think that’s what it was. It was pink). I was ok with that, but it might have bothered Smalls. She didn't eat much of it. If I had known there would be dressing, I'm sure could have asked them to leave it off. Smalls ended up eating mostly dried apricots and cranberries I’d brought with me. I got the pasta salad with my sandwich, and Smalls nibbled on that, too.
The dining area is definitely set up for business people on a lunch break, not people with small kids. There was not a single highchair or booster seat in the place (that I saw), and no one to ask. The two restaurant employees I saw were very busy filling orders at the counter, so I didn’t want to ask them about highchairs. So Smalls sat in the booth with us, and didn’t slip down under the table or anything, so it was ok, but not ideal.
But, if you are in Gadsden, go to Gadsden Variety and Deli anyway, just to shop in a neat store. Also check out Hicks Family Shoes a few doors down. This is another store that’s been there on Broad Street a long time. They have great kids’ shoes (good brands like Stride Rite and Willits), and really helpful staff.
Toddler friendliness ratings:
Atmosphere: 1 out of 5 booster seats (I just can’t give it a higher booster seat rating, considering there were no booster seats. It's just not set up for kids.)
Food: 2 out of 5 booster seats (No fruit or veggies choices as sides, and no notification about weird sandwich dressing).

1 comment:

  1. Nice Post.. Thanks for sharing...

    Love footwears ?? Then check our blog : Footwears Club

    ReplyDelete